Ph.D. Candidate, Networked Systems
EECS Dept. and ICS Dept., University of California, Irvine
Contact: fsoldo [at] uci [dot] edu
I come from a small town near the first capital of Italy, Turin. I received a M.Sc. in Mathematical Engineering (summa cum laude) from both Politecnico di Torino and Politecnico di Milano in 2006. The same year, I also graduated from Alta Scuola Politecnica, a school of excellence in Milan and Turin focused on innovation management. From March 2006 to September 2006 I was a visiting researcher at the Network Research Lab at UCLA under the supervision of Prof. Mario Gerla. From January 2007 to September 2007 I was a research assistant at Politecnico di Torino working with Prof. Claudio Casetti and Prof. Carla-Fabiana Chiasserini. In September 2007 I joined the Networked Systems Program at UCI as a PhD student. During my PhD I had internships at Telefonica R & D, NTT Docomo Euro-Labs and Google Ad Traffic Quality. My advisor is Prof. Athina Markopoulou. Here is an update résumé with more information.
My research interests include and are not limited to,
- Data mining and machine learning algorithms for large-scale systems.
- Defense mechanisms against malicious traffic on the Internet.
- Design and optimization of network algorithms and network protocols.
- Fabio Soldo, Athina Markopoulou, Anh Le, “A Blacklisting Recommendation System: Predicting Attacks on the Internet,” submitted for publication, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications
- Fabio Soldo, Athina Markopoulou, Katerina Argyraki, “Optimal Source Based Filtering of Malicious Traffic,” submitted for publication, IEEE/ACM Transaction on Networking
- Fabio Soldo, Claudio Casetti, Carla-Fabiana Chiasserini, Pedro Chaparro, “Video Streaming Distribution in VANETs”, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Oct. 2010
- Fabio Soldo, Ahmed Metwally, Athina Markopoulou, “Click Fraud Detection Using Click Size”, submitted for publication
- Fabio Soldo, Athina Markopoulou, Alberto Lopez Toledo, “A Simple Optimization Model for Wireless Opportunistic Routing with Intrasession Network Coding,” in proc. of NETCOD, Toronto, CA, June 2010
- Fabio Soldo, Anh Le, Athina Markopoulou, “Predictive Blacklisting as an Implicit Recommendation System”, in Proc.of IEEE INFOCOM ’10, San Diego, USA, Apr. 2010
- Fabio Soldo, Athina Markopoulou, K. Argyraki, “Optimal Filtering of Source Address Prefixes: Models and Algorithms”, in Proc. of IEEE INFOCOM ’09, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Apr. 2009
- Fabio Soldo, Karim El Defrawy, Athina Markopoulou, B. Krishnamurthy, Jacobus van der Merwe, “Filtering Sources of Unwanted Traffic,” in Proc. of Information Theory and Applications Workshop, San Diego, USA, Jan. 2008
- Fabio Soldo, Claudio Casetti, Carla-Fabiana Chiasserini, Pedro Chaparro, “Streaming Media Distribution in Vehicular Networks,” in Proc.of IEEE GLOBECOM‘08, New Orleans, USA, Nov. 2008
- Fabio Soldo, Roberto Lo Cigno, Mario Gerla, “Cooperative Synchronous Broadcasting in Infrastructure-to-Vehicles Networks,” in Proc. of IEEE Conference on Wireless On demand Network Systems and Services (WONS), Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany, Jan. 2008
- Luca Scalia, Fabio Soldo, Mario Gerla, “PiggyCode: a MAC-Layer Network Coding Scheme to Improve TCP Performance over Wireless Networks,” in Proc. of GLOBECOM ‘07, Washington DC, USA, Nov. 2007
- Joon-Sang Park, Desmond Lun, Fabio Soldo, Mario Gerla, Muriel Médard, “Performance of network coding in ad hoc networks,” in Proc. of IEEE MILCOM‘06, Washington DC, USA, Oct. 2006
- Mario Gerla, Biao Zhou, Y.-Z. Lee, Fabio Soldo, Uichin Lee, Gustavo Marfia “Vehicular Grid Communications: The Role of the Internet Infrastructure,” in Proc. of ACM Wireless Internet Conference (WiCON), Boston, USA, 2006
- Fabio Soldo, Anh Le, Athina Markopoulou, “Predictive Blacklisting Using Implicit Recommendations”, U.S. Patent filed, Nov. 2009.
- Jacobus Van der Merwe, Balachander Krishnamurthy, Fabio Soldo, Karim El Defrawy, Athina Markopoulou, “System and Method for Filtering Unwanted Internet Protocol Traffic Based on Blacklists”, U.S. Patent filed, Oct. 2008.